Featured Product

Keeping Gauges From Smelling

Forum > Chat >

xdefylifex
Rating:

View xdefylifex's timeline

Current Hair: Brown.

Posted 6 years, 6 months ago

Okay, so I got my ears to a 6g, and all throughout gauging and everything they didn't smell at all. Even as a 6 they didnt smell. But for valentines day my boyfriend got me the metal tunnels I've been wanting, and when I put them in they cut my ear and it started to bleed, which I expected.
But ever since I;ve put in these tunnels my ears have smelled whenever I take them out or move them, Like I'll slide them in and out, because the tunnels are kinda long, but they ends don't go through my ear, and when I take my hand away my fingers smell bad.
Is there anyway to stop this?
I do clean them with rubbing alcohol, which I've heard can be bad but It works on keeping my ears clean, and my ears can get infected easily so it keeps it from getting infected.
My ears arent infected because they aren't red, and they don't hurt. They just smell. And I know this sounds gross but I also know its common. But ugh I want it to stop!

cancankant
Rating:

View cancankant's timeline

Current Hair: pastelish shades/blonde

It's ear "cheese". Basically, your stretched piercing is reacting as if it is fighting a foreign object, like bacteria, etc. This is exactly what the tunnel is. You might want to try some very simple jewelry, like stainless steel plugs with o-rings until the piercing heals.

Downsizing will help, too. I know you don't want to hear that, but after cutting your ear with the tunnels, you really need to go back down to an 8 gauge piece until it's healed. I've had to do it a few times myself. Usually the piercing feels better in a week or so.

When your ears fully heal at 6 gauge, you can try organics, which cut down on the stinkiness, since the materials tend to absorb some of the discharge. Keep the piercing clean. Alcohol is very drying, so I'd stay away from that. I think sea salt soaks are the way to go, but salt can be drying as well.

Check out www.bodyartforms.com - there is a forum and faq section on stretched piercings. Good luck! I'm currently at a 4 gauge and planning on going to 2 gauge (and then most likely stopping). I've had some of my piercings (I have 3 in each ear) go sort of "pissy" on me (infection, irritation, etc.). It's no fun, but as you stretch/downsize/restretch the piercings get stronger.

“Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.” ~~~ James Dean

xdefylifex
Rating:

Ew. That sounds disgusting! Okay that sounds like a good idea, I'll try to do it as soon as possible!
Thank you so much!

Vicious_Badger
Rating:

Current Hair: Brown and blue

Yucky
My ex boyfriend's earrings always smelled once he got past 3/4 inch. I think because they never healed properly because he stretched them in stupid ways. Now they're healed but he can't wear earrings to work anyway so they don't have the chance to stink up.

cancankant
Rating:

View cancankant's timeline

Current Hair: pastelish shades/blonde

I forgot to add that sometimes going jewelry-less and giving your ears a chance to breathe helps, too. I used to never wear ear jewelry and now since I wear it all the time, I am much more conscious of my ears. When I never wore jewelry, I would occassionally notice the ear cheese as well. I would touch my ear (or being sort of massaging the lobe) and the small hole would ooze (yes, this sounds gross...sorry) a tiny bit of "cheese" and it would stink to high heaven.

This actually happens with all piercings. You notice the ones closer to your face more often, though. I have a pierced navel and I have to be very careful about cleaning that, too, or the yucky smell happens. I've also heard there's nothing worse than someone who doesn't practice good oral hygiene and has a tongue piercing. Nice, huh?Smile

“Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.” ~~~ James Dean

xdefylifex
Rating:

Haha that thing about the oral piercing sounds loverly. ugh seriously why does this stuff have to smell, it would be so much easier if it didn't.