HairCrazy.info
Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Is 40 volume bleach okay to use on roots?

Forum > General Questions >

longliverock
Rating:

View longliverock's timeline

Current Hair: eternal pink

Posted 3 years, 4 months ago

I need to know is that it's safe to use 40 volume straight to your scalp. My roots are nearly 4 inches and I've haven't got them done in NINE months (since July).

My idea was to bleach the entire top layer to have the top layer platinum blonde and leave the bottom layer faded pink. I bought toner too just incase it came out yellow anyway. It is okay to overlap, right? (I really want to add a pic to this post to make this easier for all of you but I'm unable to now...)

Because the lady who's the cashier at my sally beauty is the kind of person who contantly warns me how I will go bald. And she gave me about a 10 minute lecture about overlapping bleach and I'm just standing there thinking of all the people with white hair and people who use bleach twice to get rid of previous hair dye. I just want to make sure it won't do anything extreme if I overlap a bit.

tooblueforyou
Rating:

View tooblueforyou's timeline

Current Hair: Pink & purple

It's okay to overlap bleach IF your hair is in good condition. But don't use 40 Vol. on your scalp, ever! That's the one thing that actually might make you go bald, because 40 Vol. is strong enough to permanently damage your scalp. Use 30 Vol. for your roots.

longliverock
Rating:

Thanks! I really should go exchange it for some 30 vol...

mariiaha
Rating:

View mariiaha's timeline

Current Hair: blue-green and short

I use 40 volume on my roots and I never have any problems with it. but I guess I wouldnt advise it, since so many people do have problems

Best Wishes!

clau_wee
Rating:

View clau_wee's timeline

Current Hair: Purple, pink, & orange

Ok. I'll tell you from personal experience, which happened about two weeks ago. Try to avoid 40 vol. as much as you can.

I used it because that's what my sister bought and I had to bleach my hair on that specific day, so it was too late to exchange it... but I ended up burning my scalp. At first it was really uncomfortable because I was bleaching about 4 inches of regrowth, so I was taking my time. Then it started to burn and my face was turning red. You could see parts of my forehead swelling up, too. I washed it off immediately, and even though my regrowth turned a blinding white, I wouldn't wanna go through that ever again. :( I ended up with a quarter of my hair bleached, so I picked up 30 vol. the next day and finished the rest. SO MUCH BETTER. x]

No, my hair didn't fall out... but it's having trouble absorbing colors properly. It's also a little coarse, but nothing like straw hair because I condition like crazy.

So, obviously my experience with 40 vol. may not happen to you, but I advise you to stay away from it if you can. Better safe than sorry. :(

"Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy." -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

longliverock
Rating:

Oh dear lord x( I'm sorry that happened to you D:
Now i'm definitley going back. I'm too afraid to take any chances.
What kind of conditioner did you use to get it back to health?

clau_wee
Rating:

View clau_wee's timeline

Current Hair: Purple, pink, & orange

I use whatever I have at hand. Currently it's Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly and Roux 233 Repairing Conditioner. I use them interchangeably or one right after the other, depending on how my hair's acting up. I let my hair air dry, then I put leave-in conditioner (also Herbal E.'s) OR Organix Coconut Milk serum.

"Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy." -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

Definitely don't use 40vol on the scalp.

If your hair is dark enough that you think you'd need developer that strong then do 2 x 20 volume applications. It's much better for your hair in that a slower lift gives you more control and a more even result.

If you use 40 volume then you'll have white roots where you started before you've even finished painting it on the rest half the time, so much of your hair would end up over processed. It would also be particularly bad when you have longer roots because you have the effect of the heat from your scalp making the 1st 1cm of roots process about 30% faster. It's a recipe for a total mess in my opinion!

If you go for 2 applications of 20 volume then you can bypass the problem of lighter roots by not applying bleach to the area very close to the scalp the second time around and it also gives you the opportunity to pick up any missed or underprocessed spots from the first round.

My hair seems to go through stubborn phases when I need to do 2 rounds instead of 1 with 30 vol. I recommend leaving a 2 or 3 days between applications if you possibly can to give your scalp a rest.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

pierat
Rating:

View pierat's timeline

Current Hair: Brownish

As well as what has been said already, strong bleach on the roots makes dandruff! There is no point having nicely dyed hair if you have dandruff!

catwoman
Rating:

View catwoman's timeline

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

i have 2 pack of intense red color powder , and my hair is a dark brown red , i did my bang's with 6% which is i think 10 vol it came out ok but want to do the rest of my hair the red color , but want to lift the dark brown red a bit more but don't want to use bleach, would i get a more intense color if i used 20 or 30 vol ?

First Page | Next Page | Last Page
Jump to page: 1 | 2