HairCrazy.info
Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Can Black people use White hair dye products?

Forum > General Questions >
LilTracyLynn
Rating:

Posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I used a semi-permanent dye that is made specifically for black peoples' hair, but a week ago, someone had commented about me not having nice hair because I tried to go blonde without bleaching. I understand that in order to go really bright, I need to bleach, but my hair is not long and not the most healthy and I don't have the money to buy the products TO bleach nor do I have the money to get my hair dyed professionally.

I got a dye made for white peoples' hair, but I decided not to use it after seeing that some black girl's hair broke off while using it. I know that most products that aren't made for our hair have less moisturizing products in it.

Anyway, I really wanted to get to a very light blonde. I don't know how to take care of blonde hair, but it's something I want. Any tips?

PS: Those are the pictures of me that I had used the semi-permanent dyes on.

ickle_cat
Rating:

View ickle_cat's timeline

Current Hair: Blonde with roots (failed ombre)

i'm assuming that the second photo is your hair now.

since your hair is already a bit lighter than your natural colour you're already part-way there.

to get to blonde you need to bleach your hair. end of. since you're worried about breakage it's better to do it slowly over time. the best thing you can do is bleach baths:

http://haircrazy.info/beginner-guides/bleach-bathing/

but you'll need to do them a lot and if you're doing them weekly then it'll probably still take up to several months.

alternatively, do a couple of regular bleachings. it's a bit more likely to give you issues with damage but it won't take as long. 2 or 3 bleachings with 20vol. developer will probably do it for you.

as far as dealing with the blonde hair, by the looks of things you straighten your hair through relaxing, using a straight-iron or chemical straightening. this is damaging, so you're more likely to get damage with the blond than caucasian hair.

so, if you do get blonde (yay!) then you can do a couple of things. firstly, get shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair, you can get some leave-in conditioners that are good and there are intense masks that you can get that you leave in for a few minutes and rinse (i've heard some great things about Aussie 3 minute miracle moist).

if you use a straight-iron then make sure you use a heat protection spray. if you can't afford one just mix some of your conditioner with water and put it into a spray bottle, works the same :)

i'm not too familiar with the products that are around for afro hair, but i'm sure there are leave-in moisturising cremes and conditioners, you should be able to find some in local drug stores or afro salons.

you can do a hot oil treatment as another moisturising thing for after bleaching (nice and cheap). heat up some olive, coconut or argan oil (or i guess any cooking oil would work) heat it in a bowl in the microwave and put it on your hair (don't burn yourself!) then wrap your hair in cling-film. leave it for 1/2 hour- 1 hour and then rinse it out.

i've heard something about home-made hair masks as well as protein treatments, but i don't really know anything about these.

hope this helps. if you have more questions then please ask away :D

"although everything you own will be this colour too because it bleeds like an extra in 300" -bekki, 23/2/12

Meta
Rating:

Current Hair: Dark to medium brown

I use Aussie 3 minute miracle for regular conditioner, in the winter. my hair type is 3b. (I'm AA , Caucasian, NA) The climate and your type of hair are major things to take into account when processing, and for treatment of, if you don't know your hair type you can always go for a consultation, or try to find it out yourself through on-line research and self diagnosing.

home made hair masks are amazing, as you can assure that they are all natural and only as harsh on your hair as you intend them to be.

Anyone can use any product they choose as long ast it caters to the type and targeted treatment of your hair.

This is a good website for help with curly hair related references:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/homemade-hair-mask-recipes

they have lots of amazing tips and suggestions for people with naturally curly hair. This link will take you to a page filled with some home made hair masks.
Good luck!Wink

Psycho_Werkatze
Rating:

View Psycho_Werkatze's timeline

Current Hair: Dreadlocks with catears :D

I'd also reccomend to do the "hot oil treatment" befor bleaching your hair, then not take it out and also smear some of the oil on your scalp, sounds a bit yukie, and feels as if you avent washed your hair in aaaages, but it protects your scalp from bleachburns and also takes cae of your hair while bleaching, so it wont get as damaged . good luck :3